Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lexus - December to Remember: Music Box

It's December, so that means we get the annual December to Remember commercials from Lexus.  You are probably familiar with these.  Someone receives a Lexus as a present, and we're supposed to be moved at what an incredibly touching moment it is.



In this particular entry, a man gives his wife a music box.  This seems like a nice enough present, but based on the anticipation on the children's faces, there's obviously more to this gift. 

She begins to play the music, and a look of recognition comes over her face.  Why that's the Lexus jingle!

Really?  She hears that song from a music box, and instantly recognizes it as the Lexus jingle?  It's not like the tune is especially memorable.  You could probably play it to me for 48 straight hours and I wouldn't be able to identify it.

Maybe she's got an amazing memory, or is some sort of commerical jingle enthusaist.  Whatever the case, she recognizes the jingle and surmises that her real gift is going to be waiting for her in the driveway.

Who are these people?  Just how rich do you have to be that upon hearing a car commercial jingle you automatically assume that you're getting a new car as a gift?  Maybe the husband just thought it was a nice sounding tune.  Wouldn't she be in for a shock when she raced outside to find an empty driveway?

As it turns out, Mrs. Moneybags was correct, and there is a new Lexus waiting for her in the driveway.  And because a new car wouldn't be the same without one, there's a giant bow on top. 

The giant bow is actually the most impressive part of the gift.  I tried to find one of those one year, and didn't have any luck.  Anyone making a decent living could head over to the Lexus dealership and get a car.  But to find a giant bow?  That takes real power and influence.

Here's a question: Why isn't there any snow on the car?  It's clearly snowing at a decent rate, and yet the car doesn't seem to have a flake on it.  Are we to believe that Lexuses come with some sort of snow repellant power?  If so, then they should have made that the focal point of the commercial.

I know I would pay a premium if my car could repel snow.  It would have saved me a couple hours of shovelling these past few winters.

Is it just me, or are the kids just a little too happy that Mom is getting a Lexus?  I mean, I guess it's nice that their mother is happy, but what are they getting out of it? 

Considering that this family is obviously loaded, the kids are probably happy that their mother upgraded from whatever vehicle she had been driving them around in.

"Mummy, can you drop me off at the corner?  I do not want to be seen riding in an Acura!  It's SO embrassing!"

What a bunch of spoiled brats.
Rating: 2 TVs - Between the woman recognizing the Lexus jingle and the snow-proof car, this commercial requires just a little too much suspension of disbelief for my tastes.  And those spoiled kids are a real turn-off.

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly!

    Except that until I googled it and found this, I had no idea WHAT that music was supposed to be!

    But then, this ad wasn't intended for regular folks like me.

    PS About the bow: They probably bought a roll of red fabric and made it themselves, at least that's my guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Maybe it's envy (although I never really thought about owning a Lexus), but I actually felt a little angry that there was an expectation that someone was supposed to know what that tune meant. Really? Times are hard! Even rich people probably feel a bit weird about flaunting their cash right now. A car for Christmas? Now's not the time, Lexus.

    ReplyDelete