Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bud Light - Close Encounters

For my first offering, I'll take a look at Bud Light's Close Encounters ad:


I'll give Bud Light some credit.  In just about every one of their ads, there is a consistent message: Bud Light is so amazing, that people will go to insane lengths just to get some.

While this does ignore the fact that Bud Light might be the most easily obtainable beer in America, they have managed to stick with this message over the years.  Judging by Bud Light's popularity, I suppose that the commercials have to be working at least a little.

In this commercial, the hot female aliens apparently need men to help them repopulate their species.  In exchange, they are offering Bud Light.

Now, at first glance, this is a solid plan on their part.  I know that the offer of free beer can help convince your friends to do things like move, or drive you to the airport.  So getting men to have sex in exchange for beer seems like a slam dunk.

But I do have to wonder if their plan will even work.  The aliens are clearly not human (humans do not have antennae)  How can they be sure that a human sperm would even be able to impregnate them?  Humans are chimpanzees share most of the same genetic DNA, and yet a human can not impregnate a chimp, even though I'm sure there are sickos out there who have tried.

So I have to really doubt that human and alien DNA is compatible.  And even if it is, they aren't really saving their race.  After all, the children will be half alien/half human, so their race will never be the same regardless.

I've also noticed that the aliens never really promise sex.  What if their method of reproduction involves surgically extracting sperm or something painful?  I don't think a few bottles of Bud Light is going to seem like adequate compensation for that.

Even if they do reproduce sexually, I have to wonder if there were more than just the three aliens on the spaceship?  For the guys' sake, I certainly hope so, or else there are going to be some really awkward moments on board.

When I watched this commercial during the recent BCS Championship Game, everyone in attendance - male and female - had the same reaction to the ending: It is annoying.

Why are the women so happy that the men are gone?  Is it because they now had all the Bud Light to themselves?  I once again have to point out how easy it is to obtain Bud Light.  If I really wanted to, I could have a bottle of it in my hands in five minutes.  (Considering my boss is away, I really could)

I mean, I'm sure they all enjoy a good "girls night out" every once in awhile, but I'd think that at least some of the women would be upset by the fact that they were just abandoned in favor of aliens. 

Have you ever seen the way women react when a hot, heavily made up girl walks into a bar?  There is instant dislike.  And if their boyfriend pays the hot girl any attention whatsoever?  You can practically see smoke.

No, the women would not be jubilant.  They would be super pissed, and probably screaming profanities.

Also, the way that one woman raises her arms is super annoying.  It's like she really hated her husband or something, and she was looking for an excuse to get rid of him. 

Rating: 2.5 TVs out of 5 -
A promising premise, but too many plot holes and an annoying ending hold it back.

No comments:

Post a Comment