Monday, January 7, 2013

Buick - Landing

Today I'll be looking at a commercial for the 2013 Buick Enclave.


We see that the Enclave can be controlled remotely via smart phone.  This allows the car to be nice and warm by the time the family enters.  We're supposed to think that the Enclave is a technological marvel that makes life more convenient for its owners.

The only message that I'm getting is that the Enclave is a car for rich a-holes.

My resentment of the family begins when I realize that the entire family is flying first class.  That's right, even the kids.

"You expect my children to sit in coach with the rest of the commoners?  I think not!  It will be first class for all of us!"

Maybe I'm being too harsh.  Maybe the family saved up for years for this trip, and they all wanted to fly first class because it was such a special occasion.  (Although if they can afford an Enclave, they probably haven't tightened the belts too much.)  Or maybe the father just wanted to give his children a special treat.

Full disclosure: For my 21st birthday, my parents flew the family out to Las Vegas, and I got to sit in first class.

I was about to cut the father some slack when I noticed something:  He starts controlling the Enclave while the plane is in the process of landing.

You know how they tell you to turn off your electronic devices while the plane is landing?  Apparently, Johnny First Class either didn't hear that announcement or willfully ignored it.

"What?  Wait until the plane lands?  But if I do that, then my car will have less time to get warm.  And then my family might be slightly cold once they get into the car.  We certainly can't have that!

"Besides, I'm a first class passenger!  Surely those 'rules' they talked about don't apply to me.  They only apply to the unwashed masses in the back of the plane."

It's not like he's doing anything that might interfere with the plane's systems.  He's only remotely controlling another vehicle!  I don't see how that could possibly cause any problems.

"But at least my family stayed warm."

Rating - 1.5 TVs - I'm sure that it is rather convenient to able to remotely start the car.  But I think it is wrong of Buick to glorify rich, inconsiderate @$$holes who value the comfort of their family over public safety and etiquette.  I think the FAA might need to have a long talk with Buick.

No comments:

Post a Comment