Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl - Doritos

While the Black Eyed Peas are performing, I decided to do a quick review of a commercial from the first half.

Overall, I'd say the commercials in the first half have been solid.  Much better than the fare from recent years.

I'd say the best ads have come from Doritos.  So, here's a review of one of their ads:


I'll move past the fact that I personally hate Doritos, and say that at first watch, I thought this guy was someone who I could relate to.  Much like him, I'm the type of person who insists on getting every last bit of food out of the bag. 

In my younger days, whenever people didn't finish their meals, I would be quick to eat whatever they left over.  Heck, sometimes I didn't even have to order my own food.  I'd just eat a little bit of everyone else's scraps.

Would I have ever gone to the point of licking someone else's fingers?  No, that is clearly over the line, and the finger licker is obviously a bit crazy.

Really, if there's anyone I relate to, it is the guy with the bag.  This guy knows what he's doing.  He finished off the chips and now he's dumping the crumbs into his mouth.  I'd say there's a good chance that his next move is to lick his own fingers.  Because that's what I would do.

That's why the finger licker's actions are so egregious.  He didn't even give the guy a chance to lick his own fingers.

This appears to be taking place in an office somewhere, and I have to wonder, in this era of political correctness, is there any way that this guy would remain employed at this company?

This guy is clearly obsessed with Doritos, so I would be surprised if this was his first time doing something like this.  Wouldn't someone have complained about him by now?  Unless he works for Dunder Mifflin, I'd think something like this would be a fireable offense.

At the very least, wouldn't word have spread around the office not to eat Doritos because crazy finger licker guy might practically molest you to get the crumbs?  By this point, I'd think that people would know not to get Doritos from the vending machine.  So maybe the guy who got his fingers licked had it coming a little.

And the guy at the end of the commercial kind of deserved what he got too.  First, he wipes the crumbs on his pants.  The slob couldn't find a napkin anywhere? 

And the guy did wipe a lot of crumbs on his pants.  If he's going to waste that much food, then should he get upset when others want to have some?

Not to mention that he should probably invest in some higher quality pants.  It didn't look like the pants were pulled on that strongly, and yet they ripped quite easily.  Maybe this is what he deserves for wearing such cheap pants.

Rating: 3.5 TVs - It was a funny ad, but I couldn't rate it any higher, because I'm not sure if the message we're getting is clear.  Are they saying that Doritos are so good that it might lead to crazy, obsessive behavior?  Or are they saying the Doritos are the snack food of choice for the mentally unstable?

No comments:

Post a Comment