Friday, February 1, 2013

IBM - Spelling

Sometimes when looking back at these ads from the past, I find it difficult to interpret them correctly.  While some of them might seem quite dated now, I'm sure they felt modern at the time.

So when reviewing this IBM ad from 1986, I tried to put myself in the mindset of a person living in 1986.

Obviously, 1986 was quite a few years ago, and I was relatively young at the time.  So my memories of the time might be a little fuzzy.

If I recall, here was the basic setup: Ronald Reagan was fighting the Communists, Bill Cosby was entertaining the nation every Thursday night, and Falco was educating the world about Mozart.

OK, I think I'm ready to look at this commercial from the 1986 Super Bowl.



We see a few instances where people have misspelled words.  Obviously this is quite embarrassing for them.  Although in a couple of those cases, I think that a simple proofreading would have saved them from a lot of the embarrassment.

For those of us who can't spell well and can't take the time to review our work, IBM has a solution.  They have created a typewriter that will analyze typing and beep if it detects a misspelled word.

What?

How is this possible?  A typewriter is just a machine.  How could it possibly know what we were typing?    Unless...

Oh no.  Oh no!  Have the machines have gained intelligence?  Holy crap!  Was The Terminator (which was of course released two years ago) correct?  Are the machines self-aware now?  Are they preparing to rise up and enslave mankind?

IBM has doomed us all!

Terminator
We're screwed now

Rating - 1 TV - If you're reading this, that means that I've managed to survive the robot apocalypse.  I am assuredly searching for other survivors so that I can form some sort of human resistance movement. 

Please wish me luck, and may God have mercy on us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment