Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl: Cars.com - Wolf

The Super Bowl has come, and the Super Bowl has gone.  Now there's nothing left to do but debate whether or not that should have been a holding call.

Or we could talk about the commercials.  That's always fun too.

I thought that this year's game featured a particularly weak crop of commercials.  You might think that would make my job easier.  You might think that bad ads are more easily mockable, and so that would give me much more material to write about.

But my goal is not to mock.  My goal is to analyze and review.  Sure, I'll mock the mockable, but that really isn't what I set out to do.  At least not usually.

Despite the disappointing fare, I'm still going to power through and deliver some reviews.  The first ad I'll look at comes from Cars.com:




Let me get this straight: The car dealership has a wolf on-site so that they can provide their customers with drama?

How could anyone have thought this was a good idea?  Didn't they watch The Grey?

Admittedly, I didn't watch it either.  But I know the basic storyline: Liam Neeson fights wolves, because wolves are horrible, predatory creatures who would like nothing better than to tear into the flesh of a human being.

Even if you didn't see The Grey, surely you remember children's fairy tales like Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs.  The basic moral was the same: Wolves are evil, and must be destroyed at all costs.

It seems like the dealership is going to cost themselves a sale.  First of all, I don't think I'd want to buy a car from a dealership that has a live wolf roaming the grounds.  Even if I did still want to buy the car, I probably wouldn't be able to, because I would likely be attacked and killed by the wolf.

Shouldn't the dealer be more concerned?  He's the one who's been keeping the wolf cub captive.  Isn't he the first person that the wolf would attack?

It's actually kind of amazing that the couple even made it this far into the process considering that there is A WOLF ROAMING FREE THROUGH THE OFFICE!  The chances of the wolf not attacking any of the customers is insanely small, especially since the wolf has already been provoked by the abduction of its young.

I hope whoever came up with this idea was fired.  Or better yet, they should feed the person to the wolf so that it doesn't maim or kill any of the customers.

I can't emphasize enough how bad of an idea this was

 Rating - 1 TV - This is really not a good advertisement for Cars.com.  Sure the app might help people find a car they want and negotiate the price.  But it is clear that the app doesn't provide customers with the most important information that they would need: THE DEALERSHIP THREATENS CUSTOMERS WITH A LIVE WOLF!  AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment